Prevention & Tips
Coastal Fire Centre
© 2005 - Thetis Island Improvement District
DIAL 911 FOR ALL EMERGENCIES
- Display your Lot Number clearly so fire-fighters or emergency responders can locate you.
- Call the Department for one of the Captains to visit your home to discuss fire prevention strategies, and to check for ease of access for fire department vehicles in an emergency.
- Read and follow the advice in the Homeowners' Fire Smart Manual
- Install smoke alarms and change the batteries every six months. If you're building (or retrofitting) a home, consider Home Fire Sprinklers.
- Check the charge on your home Fire Extinguisher. If over 12 yrs the extinguisher is due for replacement or service.
- Burn only seasoned firewood in your woodstove or fireplace.
- Ensure your chimneys are professionally cleaned at least once a year.
- Ensure your clothes dryer appliance and venting mainenance is done at least once a year.
- Energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL) are becoming more common in homes and at work. Here are some important safety tips you should know about CFLs.
- Water your Christmas tree regularly.
- Make sure you have a water hose nearby, charged and ready before you start a burn pile.
- If you have a PROPANE TANK or several in the vicinity of your house, note these pointers for keeping safe in the event of wildfire.
- If you are in a room which is filling with smoke, stay low and exit quickly.
- Once out of the building, or if you are observing, please KEEP BACK at least 500 FEET.